Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
The Helmet Update by Email
Volume 28, #1, January 6, 2010
Helmets for 2010
We have just posted our lengthy review of Helmets for 2010.
Please see our long page for more detail.
- There is new technology this year, in the form of two slip-plane helmets with internal shells to rotate on impact and reduce rotational force to the brain. We just don't know yet how much it helps. A round, smooth helmet skids anyway, and your sweaty skin slips inside the helmet.
- There are more round and smooth helmets, and more of the compact models replacing the elongated styles with points on the back that we never liked.
- No other manufacturer has yet caught up to Bell's True Fit system for easy fitting, but they are working on it.
- MSRP's have not changed much. Street prices are probably going to be softer, particularly at the high end.
- There is still no radical safety improvement this year that would compel you to replace your current helmet.
This page was reformatted on: October 6, 2017.