Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
The Helmet Update by Email
Helmets for 2010
We have just posted our lengthy review of Helmets for 2010.
Please see our long page for more detail.
- There is new technology this year, in the form of two slip-plane helmets with internal shells to rotate on impact and reduce rotational force to the brain. We just don't know yet how much it helps. A round, smooth helmet skids anyway, and your sweaty skin slips inside the helmet.
- There are more round and smooth helmets, and more of the compact models replacing the elongated styles with points on the back that we never liked.
- No other manufacturer has yet caught up to Bell's True Fit system for easy fitting, but they are working on it.
- MSRP's have not changed much. Street prices are probably going to be softer, particularly at the high end.
- There is still no radical safety improvement this year that would compel you to replace your current helmet.