How to support the work of the
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Summary: We run on about $7,000 per year in consumer donations, and could really use your support if you can afford it.
BHSI is supported by consumer donations, most of them small. We do not accept any funding of any kind from anyone or any organization or company involved in the production or sale of helmets. Names of donors are not listed on our web site.
We run on a annual budget of $7,000 to $8,000, made possible by volunteer staff and a lot of scrimping and saving. That beats spending our energy and any part of your donation on fundraising! Our administrative costs are no more than 15% of that, and the rest goes into programs. We are grateful for consumer contributions to support this work.
Your donation can do a lot:
- $4 sends the duplicating masters for our pamphlets, plus other materials for photocopying for a helmet campaign.
- $5 sends our package of DVDs with 11 videos for a helmet campaign.
- $7 sends a Toolkit for Helmet Promotion Programs to a teacher or an organizer of a local helmet program.
- $35 pays our Internet connection costs for a month.
- $35 pays our anti-virus software costs for a year.
- $342 pays all of our Web site and email server expenses for a year, serving more than 850,000 visitors.
- $7,000 funds the entire Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute for a year!
- You can send donations by check or money order directly to:
Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
4611 Seventh Street South
Arlington, VA 22204-1419
with the check made out to our parent organization, The Washington Area
Bicyclist Association. The bank will not accept a check made out the BHSI! The Washington Area Bicyclist Association is a tax-exempt non-profit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code, holding tax exemption number 23 730 5477. Contributions are therefore tax-deductible under IRS rules for this category of charitable donations. (During 2016 we will be transitioning to a fully independent 501(c)(3) corporation, and anticipate that we will get IRS non-profit status that will be retroactive to the date of our establishment as a non-profit. If for any reason that does not work out and you cannot claim the tax deduction, we will refund your donation.)
Here is a form to print out to send your check. We also have it as a .pdf file.
- You can donate through our Parent, WABA
We are a program of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association because we started in 1974 as the WABA Helmet Committee. WABA has a donations page with many options for support.
For the Washington, DC area, WABA qualifies for donations through the United Way, with the designation code #8708. If you are a government employee, WABA qualifies for the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC), which allows for automatic payroll deductions. The designation code for WABA is: CFC #93587.
You may be able double your donation to WABA if your employer matches charitable contributions. Contact the personnel office of your employer to see about matching gift opportunities. Employers who currently match gifts to WABA include:
- Bank of America
- Fannie Mae/AmeriGives
- World Bank
- Corporate Executive Board
You can check WABA out with:
If you donate through WABA, please send us an email so we can confirm that they have identified it as a BHSI donation.
This page was updated or partially revised on: September 30, 2016.